Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Random Life Updates from Ecuador...



 
Overlooking Guayquil

The past month has FLOWN BY (I feel like I am always beginning blog posts like this!). Here are a few brief updates on life in Ecuador
Merrimack College
We have had three great consecutive retreat groups staying with us: St. Joseph’s University, John Carroll University, and Merrimack College. I led the St. Joe’s and Merrimack groups. They have brought a lot of life to me and our Mount Sinai community…and definitely kept me busy! We have our last two high school groups coming down this month.
With María Jose
   School and the afterschool program began again in the beginning of May (“summer vacation” takes place in February, March, and April here, during the worst of the rainy season). So a lot of free time in the neighborhood has been spent helping kids with math, English, computers etc. homework again. It has been really great to return to the afterschool program – I really missed those kids during break! They constantly humble me, ground me, and bring out my true authentic self…not to mention I laugh non-stop there!
   In the beginning of May before the craziness of the peak of retreat group season began my community spent a night at the beach in Montañita. It was a great little break and time to bond with community! While this year is not about traveling and tourism, I have been fortunate enough to travel a bit and experience the true natural beauty of the Ecuadorian coast.
During the school break one of my community mates, Heidi, taught a ballet class. A lot of my little friends participated in her class so a lot of time visiting them was spent dancing and applauding them. Even though I can in no way dance ballet, they appreciated (and laughed a lot!!) at my effort. I went to the final recital to cheer them on.
 And lastly we celebrated Mother’s Day and Children’s Day in this past month. On Mother’s Day I spent time with and made little cards for the five women who for me have served as mothers in this year. That night we all went to Eliza’s and enjoyed a turkey dinner to celebrate the day. We also joined in on the Children’s Day celebrations at the San Felipe Neri school and our parish, Corpus Cristi, by singing songs, playing games, and dancing.

We are within our last two months in Ecuador. It is hard to believe it is already time to begin winding down. It will definitely be a fast and emotional couple months ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment