Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Gratitude


“Gratitude is one of the most visible characteristics of the poor I have come to know. I am always surrounded by words of thanks: ‘thanks for your visit, your blessings, your sermon, your prayer, your gifts, your presence with us.’ Even the smallest and most necessary goods are a reason for gratitude. This all-pervading gratitude is the basis for celebration. Not only are the poor grateful for life, but they also celebrate life constantly. A visit, a reunion, a simple meeting are always like little celebrations. Every time a new gift is recognized, there are songs or toasts, words of congratulations or something to eat and drink and every gift is shared. ‘Have a drink, take some fruit, eat our bread’ is the response to every visit I make, and this is what I see people do for each other. All of life is a gift, a gift to be celebrated, a gift to be shared. Thus the poor are a Eucharistic people, people who know to say thanks to God, to life, to each other. They may not come to mass, they may not participate in many church celebrations. But in their hearts they are deeply religious because for them all of life is a life-long fiesta with God.” – Henri Nouwen

Found this...one of my co-workers caught me day dreaming
We have one month left in Ecuador…I cannot believe that we are already nearing the end of our year. Because of the expected upcoming craziness of transitioning the new volunteers in soon and the many good-byes, this is most likely the last post I will send from Ecuador.

There is no simple way to neatly tie together this year. However, there is one word that I have used consistently throughout this year for many reasons to describe my experience in Ecuador: gratitude. During our 9-month volunteer retreat I wrote a reflection in my journal on gratitude. I thought I would share this with you all as my final post:

One of the strongest feelings on my heart entering in these last three months (now one month) is gratitude. I am blessed to be here. It has been a heavy, difficult, and draining past three months, yet I am filled with gratitude. I have learned this gratitude from the example that my neighbors live.

I am grateful for my now 10 minute walk to Hogar de Cristo (my work placement) – it is the only time of day that I am not concerned with schedule or what I “should” be doing, my mind can wander.

I am grateful for all of the pseudo-moms that I have here in Ecuador: Fernanda, Elisa, Monica, Jessica, and Eli. They feed me, care for me, laugh with me (and at me!), and vent with me.

I am grateful for my own mother and my family and friends who have supported me without question in this year and who have tried to understand and share in the reality I am living in and how it is shaping me – for their love, openness, and support.

I am grateful for health care – that I am part of the small percentage of the world with access to adequate care to stay healthy in this year.

I am grateful for growing up in an environment that shaped me as a strong and confident woman with limitless life options. Many women are not so fortunate – machismo in Ecuador is not conducive to building self-esteem.

I am grateful for my volunteer community – for their presence accompanying me in this year, molding and challenging me along the way.

I am grateful for the numerous ways I have stepped out of my comfort zone in this year and for how that in turn has strengthened me, even when I felt weak.

I am grateful for laughs with Elisa and Fernanda that always take the edge off of a difficult day. I’ve learned laughter is like medicine for the spirit.

I am grateful for the vulnerability, spirituality, and insights of Monica – she has filled these pages (of my journal) with her wisdom and taught me so much.

I am grateful for Brittany, my 6-year old friend, who without fail sits with me at the 8am San Felipe Mass each week – she has been an image of God.

I am grateful for María Jose, a 4th grader at our afterschool program – she too has been an image of God for me. From the first day she has showered me with hugs and taught me in my first few months of feeling inadequate not speaking fluently that love is not based off perfection, she hugged and laughed with me anyways.

I am grateful for the daily check-ins with Carolina and Myra at their vegetable stand and with Elisa at her pharmacy, whether they be for 1 minute or 1 hour. The laughs, hugs, and silly handshakes always give the energy to continue throughout the day.

I am grateful for the countless neighbors, young children, and store owners who I may not even be on a first name basis with. But who I exchange smiles, waves, hugs, and greetings to everyday. Their warmth and kindness makes me feel at home here in Mount Sinai.

I am grateful for a God who never blinks – who is watching with me, crying with me, and laughing with me withHis/Her hand upon my back.

Cultivating this deep sense of gratitude opens my eyes to the faces of Christ alive and present here in Ecuador. It centers and grounds me in the mission of the work I am doing. It energizes me to continue ministering and sustains me in trials and suffering. It humbles me daily. I am truly blessed.

1 comment: