Wednesday, January 30, 2013

January flew by...

Rostro Vols at our 6-month retreat
Hi friends!

I apologize for the break from blogging – January was an eventful month! First off – it is the start of “retreat group season” here in Mount Sinai. We had two wonderful college groups staying with us this month, Villanova University and Manhattan College. The normal routine we have gotten accustomed to in these past 6 months was disrupted a bit as most of our free time was spent with the group translating, touring our worksites, cooking, and just chatting about our lives. While I am still waiting to lead my own group, it was nice to share my life here in Mount Sinai and the relationships with our neighbors with these groups. It was refreshing and regrounded me to walk the streets of Sinai in their shoes and witness things I have become so accustomed to with new eyes. Walking with the groups reminded me of a passage of Dean Brackely describing those who visit El Salvador for the first time, and probably a similar feeling I had my first month in Ecuador:

“The visitors feel themselves losing their grip; or better, they feel the world losing its grip on them. What world? The world made up of important people like them and unimportant poor people like their hosts. As the poet Yeats says, “things fall apart;” the visitors’ world is coming unhinged. They feel resistance, naturally, to a current that threatens to sweep them out of control.

They feel a little confused–again–like the disorientation of falling in love. In fact, that is what is happening, a kind of falling in love. The earth trembles. My horizon is opening up. I’m on unfamiliar ground, entering a richer, more real world. We all live a bit on the periphery of the deep drama of life, more so, on average, in affluent societies. The reality of the periphery is thin, one-dimensional, “lite,” compared to the multilayered richness of this new world the visitors are entering. In this interchange with a few of their representatives, the anonymous masses of the world’s poor emerge from their cardboard-cutout reality and take on the three-dimensional status of full-fledged human beings.”

At Hogar de Cristo this month I continued forward on my project on microenterprises in Mount Sinai. In 2013, one of the initiatives of my office is to collaborate with the Microcredit office of Hogar de Cristo and make their services more widely known and available. No research has been done on small businesses in Mount Sinai, and therefore I am researching the process of starting a business, the obstacles, the benefits (financial, health, and educational), and more. This month I finished walking and mapping all of Mount Sinai for the small businesses. There are over 200, and this is not even including the countless women running businesses out of their own homes that I will soon interview. I´m uncertain, but definitely excited to see where this project goes and what I uncover.

This past weekend the Rostro Volunteers hit the beach for our 6-month volunteer retreat. It was a necessary and refreshing break for rest and reflection. We relaxed on the beach, went running in the rain, and ate some great food we cannot easily make at home, like strawberry pancakes, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and baked ziti. Even more than the necessary physical rest, our retreat leader, Jimmy, provided many great sessions to help unpack our first 6 months in Ecuador in preparation for our upcoming 6 months.

During the retreat I continued to reread and finished one of the books I brought from home entitled, The Call to Discernment in Troubled Times by Dean Brackley. Being the nerd that I am, I sat on the beach underlining and marking up my copy. Flipping back through the book now, two quotations I feel really summarize my reflections on spirituality in Ecuador:

“In Latin America, the poor speak of Diosito, our “little God.” They speak of Jesusito and Papà Dios. Diminutives ad terms of endearment express belief in a God who draws near, understands, forgives – a “little God,” little like them, for whom the world shows contempt. This is the Deus menor, the lesser God. Because God walks among us and shares our sufferings…”

“Grieving over the crosses of the world gathers our fragmented selves, centers and heals us. When we share the sorrow of the crucified of the earth, we are no longer alone. This, too, is part of our vocation. We were made to share each other´s burdens”

In these first six months I have witnessed the enduring faith of my neighbors who believe in a God of accompaniment; a God who desires to walk right beside them through the mud of Sinai, the insults of the rich, and the suffering of financial burdens and broken families.  They are grounded in this intimate relationship with God and are unified in this shared sorrow. While prayer and time for reflection can be hard to incorporate in my day (outside of retreat weekends) my daily life and interactions with my neighbors has served as a form of prayer.

Below are a couple pictures from January:
Participating in a concert at the church to celebrate the 5 year anniversary of the  parish!

Amy´s First Birthday party!


Love and miss you all,
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment