Friday, February 8, 2013

Mi cumpleaños…

“The easy smile of the poor and their readiness to celebrate have a basis in reality. While they show us that life is more cruel and evil, more tenacious than we ordinarily admit, they also help us recognize that there is something going on in the world that is much more wonderful than we had imagined” – Dean Brackley

I may have posted this quotation before – this time I focus on the phrase “readiness to celebrate.” I had an active and wonderful birthday – never have I felt such consistent and overwhelming love throughout the course of an entire day.

Random neighbors in the streets yelled “feliz cumpleaños” and “viva la cumpleñera” as I walked by. Once it hit noon, I literally ate my way through Mt Sinai - I had three full meals that afternoon along with four cakes. Love and hospitality was most readily spread in breaking bread with my neighbors in celebration. That night my communitymate Greg made my favorite meal from home for dinner. It was such a thoughtful and kind surprise – after eating all of my favorite Ecua dishes with friends who have become like family here in Mt Sinai, in was SO nice to share my favorite dish of my own family with my community.

I was surprised, overwhelmed, and humbled by the outpouring of love. I kept thinking as I walked from home to home, ‘I am truly blessed.’

Thank you to all my friends and family at home for the birthday cards, emails, calls, and prayers – I am so grateful!

A few pictures of the cakes I ate…





No comments:

Post a Comment